- Represented Zumper, the online apartment search platform, in its $17.6M Series B funding led by Breyer Capital and Foxhaven Asset Management, including follow-up funding from existing investors Kleiner Perkins Caulfield & Byers, Goodwater Capital, Scott Cook and others.
- Represented Ovia Health (formerly known as Ovuline), the leading women's healthcare technology company, in its $10 million Series A Financing to support future growth and expand its maternity benefits solution to employers and insurers nationwide
- Advised Datadog, a SaaS-based monitoring and data analytics platform that provides a unified view of IT infrastructure, in its $31 million Series C financing led by existing investor Index Ventures,with follow-on investments from RTP Ventures, Amplify Partners, and OpenView Venture Partners.
- Represented Jibo, Inc., a maker of a social robot, in its $25.3 million Series A financing.
- Represented Linkable Networks, a loyalty advertising technology company that aims to engage retailers and consumer-packaged goods brands with millennials, in its $11.7 million in funding.
- Advised global app-testing leader, Applause, in its $43 million series E financing led by Goldman Sachs.
- Advised InsightSquared, a provider of next generation business intelligence software as a service, on its $13.5 million Series C financing led by Atlas Ventures, Draper Fisher Jurvetson, NextView Ventures and Two Sigma Ventures.
- Advised cloud security pioneer and the world’s leading cloud data security company, CloudLock, in its $16.5 million series C financing led by Bessemer Venture Capital.
- Advised VoltDB in its $8 million Series B financing led by Sigma Partners and Kepha Partners.
- Represented Harvest Automation, Inc., a developer of robotic equipment for the agriculture industry, in its $11.75 million Series C financing round.
- Represented Onshape Inc. , a venture-backed company that is applying cloud, web and mobile technologies to CAD, in its $25 million Series B.
- Represented IBM in two successful PTAB appeals of USPTO Examiner rejections on patent applications directed towards content decryption technologies.
- Represented LevelUp, the nation’s largest mobile payment network, in obtaining summary judgment of non-infringement.
- Tried major patent and technology-related cases for Hughes Aircraft, General Motors, Titanium Metals, Nickson Industries and Boston Communications Group.
- Served as lead counsel for Hittite Microwave in defense of patent infringement litigation concerning integrated circuits.
- Successfully defended a consortium of Boston-area hospitals and universities in patent litigation concerning magnetic resonance imaging technology.
- Assisted a well-known manufacturer of CAD design software in a multinational trademark dispute with a competing software provider with respect to use of certain terms commonly used in the industry. We handled a large number of trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings filed by our client worldwide.
Licensing & Strategic Alliances
- Represented a fabless semiconductor company in its licensing of technology and patents from IBM.
- Represented a software company in licensing to state health insurance exchanges established by the Affordable Care Act.
- Represented developer of software and hardware systems for position tracking in collaboration agreement with a sports media company.
- Represented a maker of software used for Internet data caching in its licensing of its software to a major Indian telecommunications network.
- Represent a major automotive manufacturer in a wide variety of matters, such as inbound software and technology licensing, outbound data licensing, strategic alliance with a public company, and development of form agreements including a master services agreement, purchasing agreement, and confidentiality agreement. Also advised on protection and licensing of its brand-name trademarks, including advising on and negotiating licenses to authorized dealers and other affiliates.
- Represented the founder and Chief Executive Officer of a high technology company at trial in an accounting revenue recognition case.
- Successfully represented Uber Technologies (a transportation technology company whose popular mobile app connects riders to drivers) in obtaining dismissal of Massachusetts Superior Court litigation alleging that the Uber mobile app constituted an illegal taximeter under Massachusetts law.
- Obtained dismissal for Dell, Inc. in a consumer class action in the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court based on arguments for change in governing law.
- Represented Hittite Microwave Corporation of public company in defending against shareholder class litigation challenging the $2.5 billion acquisition of Hittite and enabled the transaction to close on schedule with no change to price or deal terms.
- Defended EMC Corporation in shareholder appraisal action arising out of merger; Mary Morgan v. Voyence, Inc. (Delaware Chancery Court).
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented String Automotive, provider of the Dealer Positioning System®, an intelligence platform empowering dealers to sell more cars and make decisions based on data, in its acquisition by Experian Automotive, a division of Experian Plc.
- Represented Mill Road Capital Management LLC, a private investment firm focused on investing in publicly traded micro-cap companies in the U.S. and Canada, in the going private acquisition of Skullcandy, Inc. (Nasdaq; SKUL), a creator of world-class audio experiences through its Skullcandy and Astro Gaming brands, after a contested process.
- Represented Dell EMC in the sale of EMC’s enterprise content division, including Documentum and other leading enterprise content management solutions, to Open Text Corporation (NASDAQ:OTEX) (TSX: OTC), a global leader in enterprise information management, for $1.62 billion.
- Assisted Hittite Microwave Corporation (NYSE:HITT) in the structuring, negotiation, documentation and closing of its sale to Analog Devices, Inc.
- Advised EMC Corporation (NYSE:EMC), a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver information technology as a service (ItaaS), in numerous mergers and acquisitions.
- Represented Art Technology Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:ARTG), a leading provider of eCommerce software and related on demand commerce optimization applications, in its acquisition by Oracle Corporation (NASDAQ:ORCL) for $1 billion.
- Served as counsel to WHI Solutions Inc., a leading software-as-a-service purveyor in the automotive parts industry, in its sale to eBay Inc. (NASDAQ:EBAY).