Business Development Manager
February 12, 2019
Foley Hoag seeks a Business Development Manager to serve a critical role in providing strategic direction and overseeing the tactical delivery of business development initiatives for Business Law Department practices including Emerging Company/Venture Capital, General Business Counseling, Immigration, CSR, Tax and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). This role also serves as the lead strategic business development and marketing role for the Technology Industry vertical. This professional will work proactively with department, practice area, and industry vertical chairs and in coordination with all members of the business development team. This highly visible team member will serve as a key coordinator of cross-practice technology vertical initiatives, and will develop and support initiatives that help drive new business from both existing clients and prospects and foster a culture of cross servicing. Additional practices may be assigned.
In addition to supporting the practices and verticals listed above, this role may include additional practice areas or firm initiatives to be determined as needed.
- Responsible for having a robust understanding of the practice areas supported including services provided, attorney, group and industry experience, clients served, and market competition.
- Working directly with practice group and technology vertical leadership to develop and implement business development plans for the assigned and related practices.
- Leveraging related business plans, develop formal marketing and business development initiatives aimed at realizing plan goals. As appropriate, assist attorneys with development of individual business plans that support the practice, department, and vertical plans.
- Through collaboration with industry group chairs and other Business Development Managers, work to ensure that supported attorneys are meaningfully engaged in industry-focused initiatives.
- Act as a strategic advisor to support department, practice and industry vertical leaders and individual attorneys in connection with all business development activities including, identifying business development opportunities with new and existing clients and identifying opportunities for cross-servicing.
- Provide continuous assessment of existing business development plans and tracking ROI of initiatives to ensure funding and time investments are appropriately allocated.
- Responsible for practice messaging in sales collateral, marketing materials, external website and legal rankings and surveys.
- Lead pre-pitch assessment, material development and RFP support.
- Responsible for ensuring a timely flow of information on matters and expertise that can inform internal knowledge and external PR purposes, content marketing and thought leadership opportunities.
- Coordinate firm’s research resources, provide actionable business intelligence which may include prospect research, industry or geographic research and competitive analysis at the practice and industry area level.
- Develop target audience strategy for external communications developed by the supported groups. In conjunction with this, responsible for acting as an ambassador to the practices/industry on the importance of CRM to the firm’s business development initiatives.
- Develop and maintain relationships with external organizations that are strategically relevant. Where the external relationship includes a financial commitment to sponsor the organization, ensure that we are utilizing the sponsorship to its maximum capacity, monitor and report on ROI and provide recommendations for future investments.
- Management: 10+ years marketing or business development experience, with significant and demonstrable project management experience.
- Client service: Ability to manage multiple projects at once and respond quickly to inquiries so as to serve as an ambassador of superior internal client service. This role requires hands on abilities with limited support in a team environment. Ability to motivate attorneys while prioritizing work load is essential.
- Budgetary: Experience in managing both project-based and contributing to longer-term marketing and communications budgets.
- Communication skills: The candidate must be able to effectively communicate in both verbal and written formats, and, in conjunction with the Communication Manager, leverage established tone and message for all internal and externally facing materials.
- Work style: Ability to prioritize competing stakeholders and deadlines with a pleasant and professional demeanor.
- Education and prior service: A Bachelor's Degree is required, preferably in business development, marketing, communications or a related field. Experience in a law firm and/or professional services industry is preferred but not required.
How to Apply
Please click here to apply now.