Business Development Manager – Intellectual Property Law and Litigation
September 17, 2021
Reporting to the Associate Director of Business Development, this Business Development Manager plays a critical role in providing strategic direction and managing the tactical delivery of business development initiatives for the dynamic practices in the Intellectual Property Law and Litigation departments. This highly visible team member will develop and support initiatives that help drive new business from both existing clients and prospects and foster a culture of collaboration and cross-selling.
In addition to supporting the department and practices listed above, this role may include additional practice areas or firm initiatives to be determined as needed.
- Leveraging related business plans, develop formal marketing and business development initiatives aimed at realizing plan goals. As appropriate, assist attorneys with development of individual business plans that support the practice and department plans.
- Responsible for having a robust understanding of all the practice areas supported including services, attorney and group experience as well as clients served.
- Lead pre-pitch assessment, material development and RFP support.
- Responsible for overall department and practice messaging in sales collateral, marketing materials, external website and legal rankings and surveys.
- Act as a strategic advisor to supported department and practice area leaders and individual attorneys in connection with all business development activities including, identifying business development opportunities with new and existing clients and identifying opportunities.>
- Provide continuous assessment of existing business development plans and tracking ROI of initiatives to ensure funding and time investments are appropriately allocated.
- Through collaboration with industry group chairs and other Managers, work to ensure that supported attorneys are meaningfully engaged in industry-focused initiatives.
- Responsible for ensuring a timely flow of information on matters and expertise that can be leveraged for internal knowledge and external PR purposes, content marketing and thought leadership opportunities.
- Leveraging the firm’s research resources, provide actionable business intelligence which may include prospect research, industry or geographic research and competitive analysis at the practice area level.
- Develop target audience strategy for external communications developed by the supported groups. In conjunction with this, responsible for acting as an ambassador to the supported practices on the strategic importance of CRM to the firm’s business development initiatives.>
- Develop and maintain relationships with external organizations that are strategically relevant. Where the external relationship includes a financial commitment to sponsor the organization, ensure that we are leveraging the sponsorship to its maximum capacity, monitor and report on ROI and provide recommendations for future investments.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Project Management: 7+ years marketing or business development experience, with significant and demonstrable project management experience.
- Client service: Ability to manage multiple projects at once and respond quickly to inquiries so as to serve as an ambassador of superior internal client service. This role requires hands on abilities with limited support in a team environment. Ability to motivate attorneys while prioritizing work load is essential.
- Budgetary: Hands-on experience in managing both project-based and contributing to longer-term marketing and communications budgets.
- Communication skills: Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate in both verbal and written formats, and, in conjunction with the Communication Manager, leverage established tone and message for all internal and externally facing materials.
- Work style:Ability to prioritize competing stakeholders and deadlines with a pleasant and professional demeanor.
- Education and prior service: A Bachelor's Degree is required, preferably in marketing, communications or a related field. Experience in a law firm and/or professional services industry is preferred but not required.
- Ability to travel domestically as needed
- Ability to work outside of standard business hours including weekends as needed