Case Assistant – Patent Practice Assistant
July 22, 2020
Foley Hoag LLP seeks recent and upcoming college graduate for a Patent Practice Assistant role. This position will introduce the candidate to working for a patent prosecution practice group in a law firm environment. The patent practice assistant will have the opportunity to work with patent prosecution attorneys while gaining a foundational knowledge of the criteria for patentability.
The Patent Practice Assistant provides support to the patent prosecution practice group in meeting the duty of disclosure requirements. The primary responsibility of the patent practice assistant is to provide support on the prior art management process. This includes, but is not limited to: review of inbound mail for citations, indexing and cataloguing citations in our prior art management system, preparing draft Information Disclosure Statements and compiling copies of reference documents for filing with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. The patent practice assistant can also provide support to the patent practice group attorneys on project-based work which can include data verification, date review, compiling claim sets and reviewing priority and subject matter related patent families. The patent practice assistant must be available to work overtime when required to meet the workload demands of this position.
- Review of prior art generating documents to identify cited U.S., foreign and non-patent literature references.
- Index and catalogue the citations into our prior art management system.
- Review information disclosure docketed deadlines and complete review of priority and subject matter related families.
- Prepare draft information disclosure forms and compile copies of references that must be filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Compile reference documents that must be forwarded to the foreign associate to meet the ongoing duty of disclosure requirements in foreign countries.
- Review and update the status of the citation in our prior art management system.
- Review and audit transferred-in cases to compile the baseline prior art status and identify any reference that have not yet been cited.
- Complete project-based work requested by the attorneys which will involve compiling information from multiple Patent Office websites or patent databases.
- Technical proficiency in MS Office Suite, established knowledge of Excel and Word
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong work organization skills with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects
- Bachelor’s Degree
How to Apply
Please click here to apply now.
At Foley Hoag, we welcome, develop, and celebrate talented and diverse individuals in an innovative, mutually respectful, and intellectually rigorous community, and bring unique perspectives to collaborative teams that deliver exceptional advice and craft bespoke legal solutions for our clients and our world. Foley Hoag LLP is an equal opportunity employer. This means that Foley Hoag LLP considers applicants for employment, and makes employment decisions without unlawful regard to sex, race, color, religion, citizenship, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or domestic partner/civil union status, military service, or veteran status, disability, and any other characteristic covered by applicable federal, state or local nondiscrimination laws. We value each person for their talents, expertise, experience, and perspective.