Legal Project Manager - Intellectual Property
January 28, 2021
The Legal Project Manager – Intellectual Property will support the firm’s Intellectual Property Litigation practice. The position will apply project management techniques to support management of engagements throughout their life cycles, including scoping and pitching of engagements (the financial aspects); assisting in planning and implementing the case budget and staffing; ongoing budget management and monitoring; collection monitoring; and retrospective evaluation. The position will also involve implementation of various tools and protocols to develop a database to assist in the pitching and budgeting process.
- Collaborate with attorneys to develop and manage client relationships and deliver client services of the highest quality;
- Work with attorneys and business development in the preparation of pitches with a focus on building realistic budgets and staffing for clients;
- Work with attorneys to actively manage case budgets, alert responsible attorney of possible overages and recommend corrective actions;
- Use industry research and analysis of internal data from cases across the firm and relevant industries to identify best practices for specific tasks and matter types and document and promote best practices;
- Act as a trusted member of litigation case teams, using data and understanding of the practice to recommend staffing and or process changes that are likely to result in increased efficiency and/or quality of service;
- Develop and train attorneys in use of litigation case management plans and other matter management tracking tools;
- Innovate by identifying and recommending opportunities to improve efficiency and quality of client service and implementing approved solutions;
- Coach attorneys, paralegals, LAAs and others on LPM concepts, methods and tools;
- Collaborate with other departments, including IT, Business Development, and Finance to support adoption of LPM concepts, methods and tools in the firm’s finance, budgeting, IT, pitching, marketing and business development practices and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree required; J.D. or M.B.A. preferred.
- Previous operational experience in a law firm, professional services firm and/or legal practice.
- Dedication to delivering outstanding client service.
- Demonstrated experience in leadership, teamwork, and problem-solving.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-motivated; committed to innovation and creative solutions.
- Proficient in financial analysis, including use of Excel for budgeting, fee analysis, and report preparation.
- Previous experience teaching and coaching attorneys and staff desirable.
- Commitment to a diverse and inclusive workplace for attorneys and staff at all levels.
- LPM certification or Six Sigma certification a plus.