Legal Project Manager - Washington Office
April 26, 2022
Foley Hoag LLP, a leading law firm with 330 lawyers located in Boston, New York, Washington, D.C. and Paris, seeks a Legal Project Manager to join its Finance team. This position is based in the firm’s Washington office.
The Legal Project Manager will support the firm’s International Litigation and Arbitration practice. The position will apply project management techniques to support management of engagements throughout their life cycles, including scoping and pitching the financial aspects of engagements; assisting in planning and implementing the case budget and staffing; ongoing budget management and monitoring; collection monitoring; and retrospective evaluation. The position will also involve implementation of various tools and protocols to develop a database to assist in the pitching and budgeting process.
As the firm’s sole Legal Project Management resource, the Legal Project Manager has the opportunity to shape and build the firm’s expertise in this growing field.
- Collaborate with partners to develop bottom-up budgets for prospective engagements, clearly defining scope and staffing requirements, and exploring the potential for alternative fee arrangements.
- Monitor actual performance against budgets utilizing budgeting software and ad hoc reports, including regularly interfacing with matter-responsible attorneys to review staffing and obtain insights into anticipated deviation vs. budget.
- Deliver regular and accurate communication to senior management on matters with possible fee cap overruns or other risk areas, with a goal of “no surprises.”
- Serve as a data steward, continuing oversight of task coding for international litigation and arbitration matters.
- Provide on-demand analytical assistance to partners and lawyers.
- Champion and support the use of Legal Project Management concepts and capabilities across other areas of the firm.
- Minimum of 2 years working in a similar capacity, including project management and process, budgeting, improvement concepts, process mapping, and post-matter evaluation.
- Familiarity with conceptualizing, analyzing and negotiating alternative fee arrangements.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proactive work style and the ability to think creatively to solve novel problems.
- Strong written, oral and graphic presentation skills.
- Ability to work effectively as both a sole contributor and in cross-functional teams.
- Advanced Excel, including expertise manipulating large sets of data.
- Must have flexibility to work extra hours as necessitated by role.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Experience as a practicing attorney will be considered very favorably.
How to Apply
Please click here to apply now.
At Foley Hoag, we welcome, develop, and celebrate talented and diverse individuals in an innovative, mutually respectful, and intellectually rigorous community, and bring unique perspectives to collaborative teams that deliver exceptional advice and craft bespoke legal solutions for our clients and our world. Foley Hoag LLP is an equal opportunity employer. This means that Foley Hoag LLP considers applicants for employment, and makes employment decisions without unlawful regard to sex, race, color, religion, citizenship, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or domestic partner/civil union status, military service, or veteran status, disability, and any other characteristic covered by applicable federal, state or local nondiscrimination laws. We value each person for their talents, expertise, experience, and perspective.