Paralegal Litigation and Bankruptcy
May 21, 2019
Foley Hoag seeks a paralegal to support the litigation and bankruptcy attorneys in its New York office. This position requires a flexible individual with deep litigation and/or bankruptcy experience, exceptional client service orientation and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Document Discovery. Organize documents and coordinate document productions. Conduct the redaction, duplication and indexing of documents. Set up and maintain files which are organized chronologically, numerically and/or by subject matter. Work with Litigation Technology Support on electronic productions. Under the guidance of an attorney, categorize documents by subject matter, prepare a chronology of facts and create production charts.
- Depositions. Prepare for and attend deposition proceedings. Under attorney supervision, gather and prepare documents relevant to the deponent, organize exhibits, take notes and handle exhibits during the deposition and digest transcripts to summarize highlights of a proceeding.
- Motion Practice. Pull relevant documents, proofread papers, organize exhibits and create document indices in the preparation of motion filing; Shepardizing/case citations; Create Table of Authorities.
- Court Filings. Work with attorneys to prepare and file court documents. Create, bind and distribute both file and courtesy copies. Organize the briefs, exhibits and appendices. Bankruptcy filings to include Notices of Appearance, Schedules and Statements of Financial Affairs, Proofs of Claims and Fee Applications (involving reviewing, categorizing, describing and revising attorney time and costs in accordance with local rules).
- Internal/External Communication. Act as liaison among various internal departments as well as with outside agencies. Oversee the progress of documents through litigation support departments, order transcripts from reporting services and fulfill requests from outside counsel and others.
- Intake and internal filing of court documents, discovery, and other litigation documents. Calendaring hearings and pleading deadlines, including understanding how to read notices and court pleadings to calculate time limits and deadlines and knowing how to find rules for response deadlines.
- Working knowledge of Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and New York Civil Practice Law and Rules, along with willingness and ability to learn local rules for jurisdictions outside of New York.
- Review pleadings and motions to assure they conform to rule requirements. File hard-copy papers at court in non-electronic cases. Serve copies on all parties.
- Monitoring, filing and retrieving of documents and court dockets through Pacer and ECF, distribution of the dockets accordingly, reviewing the dockets for deadlines and hearing dates.
- Active monitoring of new cases filed in local courts.
- Must possess a minimum of 5 years of litigation experience in a major U.S. law firm (bankruptcy experience strongly preferred).
- Must possess a post-secondary degree or diploma in paralegal studies.
- Notary Public preferred.
- Familiarity with search, retrieval and print functions on electronic document system such as Relativity.
- Strong knowledge of BestCase Bankruptcy Software.
- Proficiency with Adobo Pro/Nuance Power PDF or equivalent software.
- Strong employee relations skills supported by excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Strong client service orientation combined with the ability to manage multiple client needs at the same time.
- Ability to work proactively and independently.
- Superior negotiation skills and judgment.
- Ability to influence decisions without authority.
- Demonstrated analytical skills and exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Solid understanding of state and federal court systems.
How to Apply
Please click here to apply now.