Patent Supervisor – Foreign Filing and Prior Art Management Teams
April 8, 2019
The Patent Supervisor will be responsible for the supervision of the Foreign Filing Team and the Prior Art Management Team. The Patent Supervisor will oversee docketed deadlines of the foreign filing and prior art management team to ensure that all deadlines are accounted for in a timely manner. The Patent Supervisor will act as a liaison between the patent legal and support staff to ensure the foreign filing and the prior art management teams deliver on their defined roles and responsibilities. As a member of the patent administration team, the Patent Supervisor will provide recommendations on process improvement to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the patent support staff. This position will require availability to work overtime as necessary.
- Supervise the foreign filing team which includes foreign filing specialists and foreign filing assistants to ensure that docket management, client reporting, file upkeep and maintenance is completed in accordance with our procedures. Lead weekly foreign filing docket meetings. Monitor and review the weekly foreign filing finals docket to ensure we have received substantive confirmation that the filing will be completed before expiration of the associated deadline. Supervise the hiring, orientation and training of new foreign filing staff.
- Supervise the prior art management team to ensure that all prior art references are indexed and catalogued in a timely manner. Ensure the proactive management of the IDS docketed deadlines to confirm that the legal staff receive a summary of the current status of citations in the case and any subject matter related cases. Monitor the prior art management system to maintain the integrity of the system. Train new patent assistants in the discrete functions provided by the prior art management team.
- Assist with annuity vendor management, review annuity vendor communications against our patent systems and provide updates as necessary. Ensure the foreign filing team is managing the annuity related routines on their docket.
- Ensure compliance with risk management strategies related to the functions of the foreign filing and prior art management teams.
- Continually assess the existing knowledge and skills of the foreign filing and prior art management teams. Adjust workloads accordingly when necessary and provide back up support to both teams when required.
- Review existing procedures and processes and provide process improvement recommendations that are informed by risk management. Ensure adherence to documented procedures across the foreign filing and prior art management teams. Support continual learning by mentoring and coaching team members. Update and maintain the related team Procedures Manual.
- Assist on review of files for patent file intakes to expedite the onboarding of new cases into our systems. Supervise the notifications of transfer to the foreign agent. Ensure that annuity related responsibilities are clearly defined.
- Create custom database queries and reports at the request of clients, attorneys and support staff.
- Attend and participate in departmental meetings and provide regular status reports related to management of the foreign filing and prior art management workload.
- 10+ years of U.S. and foreign filing experience with 2+ years of supervisory experience that involves training of new hires.
- Solid understanding of U.S., international and foreign patent rules and regulations. Solid understanding of duty of disclosure rules and requirements.
- Comprehensive knowledge of CPi, First-to-File, IPDAS and annuity related vendors.
- Proficiency in MS Office with emphasis on MS Word, MS Excel and MS Outlook; Adobe, Java and Patent Office web sites (including but not limited to: Patent Center, WIPO, EPO and Global Dossier).
- Bachelors Degree
How to Apply
Please click here to apply now.