Practice Group Manager
May 14, 2019
Foley Hoag seeks a Practice Group Manager to develop innovative strategies, evaluate and test emerging technologies, drive initiatives, proactively advise leadership on changes in the technology landscape and promote and monitor the use and effectiveness of the firm’s knowledge management and legal technology systems and services. The Practice Group Manager along with other leaders in IT will work collaboratively to evaluate and determine how technology will be deployed to enhance our practices and meet clients’ needs. The Practice Group Manager will work with practice and administrative groups as well as clients to facilitate legal technology solutions and knowledge creation, capture and sharing in line with the goals of the firm, departments and IT group. The Practice Group Manager will work with the IT Director and other senior level business managers and the firm’s attorneys to transform high-level strategic initiatives and concepts in Knowledge Management (KM), Machine Learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) and other technology platform into actionable projects that improve lawyers’ access to information and delivery of work product to clients.
- Working closely with Practice Groups and Departments.
- Developing and implementing all practice-level strategic and operational initiatives.
- Serving as a knowledge resource of on-the-ground practice activity and execute on day-to-day operations.
- Identifying and addressing operational issues to support attorney efficiency in matter management.
- Evaluating practice group needs on an ongoing basis, identifying gaps in attorney resources and preparing needs analyses to support practice group efforts.
- Ensuring regular information flow and data sharing by developing substantive agendas and presentations for practice group meetings.
- Liaising with other administrative departments to ensure seamless service for all practice group needs.
- Assist in the coordination of the maintenance of portals, resource lists and other tools, as needed, including practice group training materials and forms.
- Assist the Director in leading requirements gathering sessions with business stakeholders to understand, document and prioritize detailed user needs to collaborate with and inform other IT groups.
- Lead and participate in Technology Liaison meetings and work closely with technology liaisons to make sure that practice groups are receiving timely new technology related information and instruction.
- Work closely with practice and other IT groups to ensure that development of IT, KM, ML, and AI products meet or exceed customer requirements.
- Champion product adoption by working with the business sponsor, practice group, training and development teams and other IT groups to produce communications and support activities to overcome barriers to product acceptance and use.
- Conduct compelling product and feature demonstrations that convey product and subject matter expertise to a variety of audiences, including Day in the Life demonstrations.
- Work with multi-functional teams and leadership to develop and execute selected process improvement projects and in some instances to lead the project.
- Ability to work on legal technology, knowledge management, machine learning, and artificial intelligence problems/projects of diverse scope.
- Gather, track and share customer and team feedback related to legal technology and KM products.
- Develops and administers analytical reports to monitor utilization and efficiency of various IT and KM applications.
- Keeps current on developments in knowledge management, machine learning, and artificial intelligence thinking and emerging legal technologies.
- Identify new legal technology, KM, ML and AI products and develop business cases for their use in the firm.
- Understand industry standards and best practices in working with IT, KM, ML and AI tools.
- Keeps current on developments in knowledge management thinking and technologies and participates in legal technology and knowledge management conferences and peer group activities.
- Performs other tasks and duties as assigned.
- Extensive experience/knowledge with current and emerging practice specific software across various practice groups.
- Bachelor‘s degree. Master’s degree or J.D. a plus.
- Law Firm or professional services, operations and management experience.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required.
- Must possess financial, analytical and project management skills.
- Ability to work independently as well on a team and has the ability to collaborate effectively across offices and practice areas.
- Ability to build relationships and gain the trust of the attorneys.
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate, in oral and written form, with people at all levels within the firm.
- Exhibit significant attention to detail and produce high quality deliverables.
- Must possess good judgment and decision making skills.
- Must have the ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
How to Apply
Please click here to apply now.