Professional Development Manager
December 8, 2021
Foley Hoag seeks a Professional Development Manager to work in collaboration with the Director of Professional Development, the Professional Development Manager, legal department and practice group leaders, partner mentors, and business services directors and professionals. The PD Manager will be involved in all facets of attorney PD, including career development, training, mentoring, and evaluations and feedback to support the professional development and career success of Foley Hoag attorneys at all levels.
- Collaborate with Director of Professional Development to assess needs, create programs, and implement the next level of attorney core skills training; define metrics and evaluate training ROI; communicate program plans, goals, and outcomes; manage external training vendors and content.
- Collaborate with designated department and practice group leaders to codify experience benchmarks; team with staffing partners to ensure more equitable and developmental staffing; identify learning opportunities and recommend augmented legal skills and industry training; coach on innovative delivery approaches to maximize learning.
- Provide confidential coaching for associates on work and career issues and strategies for success; work with associates on individual career development and training plans in alignment with increasing tenure.
- Manage designated department mentoring programs and budgets; facilitate mentor-mentee pairings; recommend and implement new mentoring groups, program enhancements, discussion topics, and training.
- Facilitate designated department attorney feedback and review processes; QC mid-year and annual reviews for substantive feedback and guidance; codify attorney strengths and skill gaps to drive PD planning; reinforce real-time feedback practices; provide coaching on feedback messaging and delivery.
- Collaborate with Business Development on associate work plans and BD training; with Legal Recruiting on new and summer associate training and lateral integration; and with Diversity, Equity and Inclusion on initiatives for attorney development and advancement.
- Collaborate with Legal Recruiting, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Human Resources on initiatives that foster a diverse and inclusive culture and promote overall engagement.
- Monitor external trends and best practices in attorney professional development, including on attorney career paths, staffing, mentoring, feedback, training, and compensation; contribute to development and implementation of best practices at Foley.
- Contribute to other PD initiatives and programs as requested.
- Minimum 5 years of professional development/training experience within the legal industry or professional services firm.
- Innovative thinker; creative problem solver; excellent interpersonal, team, and verbal and written communications skills; works effectively and collaboratively at all levels.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to manage multiple projects at once, realign priorities as needed, and drive projects to successful completion.
- BA/BS required.
- JD preferred or MS in Education, Organizational Development, or related field.
- Willingness/ability to work outside of standard business hours as needed.
- Willingness/ability to travel to other office locations.
How to Apply
Please click here to apply now.
At Foley Hoag, we welcome, develop, and celebrate talented and diverse individuals in an innovative, mutually respectful, and intellectually rigorous community, and bring unique perspectives to collaborative teams that deliver exceptional advice and craft bespoke legal solutions for our clients and our world. Foley Hoag LLP is an equal opportunity employer. This means that Foley Hoag LLP considers applicants for employment, and makes employment decisions without unlawful regard to sex, race, color, religion, citizenship, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or domestic partner/civil union status, military service, or veteran status, disability, and any other characteristic covered by applicable federal, state or local nondiscrimination laws. We value each person for their talents, expertise, experience, and perspective.