Social Media & Communications Specialist
February 8, 2021
The Social Media & Communications Specialist supports Foley Hoag's Business Development team in its various marketing efforts with a strong emphasis on social media, communications and public relations for a law firm with approximately 300 attorneys in Boston, New York, Washington, D.C. and Paris.
The Social Media & Communications Specialist will assist with the delivery of comprehensive and coordinated internal communication strategies that support the firm’s mission and integrates internal and external news. A primary responsibility of the role will be to drive the firm’s social media platforms, including, but not limited to LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram, and also its intranet. The Social Media & Communications Specialist will consult across firm administrative departments and work closely with the Business Development, Human Resources and Recruiting teams, as well as Pro Bono and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion committees and firm leadership, to coordinate and execute internal requests for various firm-wide communications (using different channels such as memos, newsletters, invitations, attorney-authored client alerts, PPT presentations, special projects and social media imagery). With oversight from the Sr. Communications Manager, this position will plan, edit, and write internal and external content.
Successful candidates will possess exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills and social media aptitude. Comfort with a wide variety of technologies and the ability to learn quickly is also desirable. This individual should exhibit excellent interpersonal and time management skills, and display strong attention to detail.3-4 years’ experience in marketing at a law firm or professional services experience is a plus. Bachelor’s degree required.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Execute social media initiatives, working in conjunction with Sr. Communications Manager, Director of Business Development and Creative Services Manager, including writing content, developing visual design concepts for posting and generating ideas for campaigns.
- Draft, post, create and coordinate content and images published to the firm’s social media accounts.
- Monitor social media accounts and conversations about the firm on various social media platforms.
- Collaborate with practices, internal groups and Business Development managers to carry out targeted social/multimedia strategies.
- Implement, carry out, and monitor social media campaigns.
- Instruct attorneys how to best utilize social media for business development.
- Manage social media analytics, including producing regular reports for senior management.
- Collaborate with colleagues in developing integrated internal and external communications plans to support strategic initiatives.
- Complete various research assignments relating to competitor analysis.
- Partner with Business Development colleagues on developing content for various uses.
- Assist with writing and reviewing/proofreading press releases, website and social content, attorney biographies, intranet news items and other marketing collateral.
- Serve as a communications liaison to other firm departments on special projects.
- Identify opportunities to improve processes and increase efficiency.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 3-4 years of relevant experience in a social media/communication/marketing role at a professional services firm or within a regulated industry.
- Knowledge and experience across all social media platforms, specifically Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and Twitter.
- Knowledge of Google Analytics.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge and experience in Hootsuite, Clear View Social, Canva or other social media management software.
- Knowledge of AP Style, as well as rules of English grammar and style, for detailed proofreading and wordsmithing.
- Knowledge and experience in SEO.
- Self-starter and team player, able to accept direction, yet work independently.
- Tech-savvy problem solver who will have the ability to learn new programs or systems with ease.
- Interest in digital, multimedia marketing strategy.
- Excellent prioritization, problem solving and time management skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills (both written and oral); including solid composition and editing skills.
- Visual design skills with a working knowledge of Adobe Creative suite of design apps particularly Photoshop and InDesign are also a plus.
- Flexibility and adaptability in a fast-paced work environment that works well under pressure.
- A positive attitude, strong attention to detail and possesses excellent multi-tasking and organizational skills.