December 21, 2021
The Training Specialist provides hands-on, classroom computer training to new hires, including attorneys and staff, and contributes to the planning and implementation of all software rollouts. The Training Specialist also prepares the training materials for each class and is responsible for keeping the Foley Learning Center information up to date.
- Identifies the training needs and designs training materials to meet the needs of firm personnel, working closely with the IT Director and Senior IT User Experience Manager.
- Develop and publish weekly and monthly tips, tricks, and other communications to keep the users up-to-date with all firm software, strategies, best practices and alternative approaches to technology use.
- Develop criteria for evaluating effectiveness of training activities.Continuously revise lesson plans to ensure course material reflects the training needs of our employees and of the firm.
- Develop and implement just in time learning – using, among other things, 2-4 minute video “how-to’s”, all-in-one collections of training materials for users, and training materials for mobile devices.
- Be a resource to the Support Desk for user assistance and questions.
- Provide hands-on, one-on-one and classroom computer training to new hires (attorneys and staff) for the firm’s supported programs.Those programs include but are not limited to the following:all Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook; iManage DM; foleyNET (firm’s Intranet); PSSHIP; Aderant for diary entry and narrative editing; and InterAction (CRM).
- Develop and educate all users on security policies, procedures and best practices.
- Monitor the Support Desk ticketing system for issues and trends, and develop action-plans to address identified training opportunities.
- Conduct mobile device training for attorneys, paralegals and directors.
- Create and keep current New Hire manuals and workshop handouts.
- Prepare the Training Rooms for each class.Ensuring that users are set up on the network with a login, all machines are in working order, the projector is adjusted, materials are distributed, exercises are prepared, and room is orderly.
- Maintain the Foley Learning Center (an online registration system and database).Run user reports as needed.
- Learn other software as it is introduced in the firm and become skilled enough to be able to train others.
- Test software as needed.
- Travel to the other Foley offices as needed to conduct training sessions.
- Other duties that may be assigned from time to time by the Director of Information Technology.
- Bachelor’s Degree or related educational experience.
- Minimum of 5+ years training experience in a law firm or professional services organization.
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office 2010/2013/2016 applications, including Word; Excel; PowerPoint; InterAction; Document Management system, e.g., OpenText DM, iManage.
- Experience with e-Learning is helpful, e.g., Captivate, Brainshark.
- Ability to transfer knowledge in an efficient, pleasant, and effective way to users of varying skill levels and learning styles using a variety of techniques.
- Ability to respond with resourcefulness and initiative when anticipating and responding to user training needs.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally by telephone or email, in the classroom, and before large groups in the legal environment.
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve application problems.
- Familiarity with office procedures in the legal environment, computer hardware functions, PC operation, audiovisual equipment, and a range of software applications.
- Ability to deal productively with frustrated users.
- Detail-oriented, well-organized, and be able to work independently and successfully communicate with staff at all levels within the firm and with outside vendors.