Tech Talk Tuesday: Capital Markets Update
Bay Colony Corporate Center, North Entrance
1000 Winter Street - Suite 4000
Waltham, MA 02451
June 7, 2011 7:30AM–9:30AM
There are strong signs that the economic doldrums of the past few years are behind us. M&A activity has rebounded. The IPO window has opened. Venture capital and private equity funds are making new investments. But is this recovery just an illusion, a temporary uptick before things again head south?
In this T3 session, a panel of seasoned investment professionals and entrepreneurs will share their thoughts on 2010 and the prospects for 2011.
Discussion will focus on topics such as the following:
- How did the M&A market perform in 2010 and Q1 2011? What can be expected for the balance of 2011 and 2012?
- Have any industry sectors performed particularly well or particularly poorly? Are the prospects for any any sectors particularly strong or particularly weak?
- Are both strategic and financial buyers back in the game?
- What types of financing are available to fund acquisitions by financial buyers? What are the trends in required debt-equity ratios?
- Have there been any noticeable shifts in non-financial deal terms?
- Is the IPO window really open? If so, for whom, and for how long?
- Will there be a strong aftermarket for new issuances?
Venture Capital and Private Equity
- Which types of funds have been able to raise capital?
- Which industry sectors have been in favor and which have been out?
- What have been the relative percentages of early stage versus later stage deals?
- Are valuations headed up? Are some sectors again overheating?
- Looking through the rearview mirror, what lessons can be learned from 2008 -- 2010?
- How will fundraising and exit strategies change in 2011?
- How have financing terms changed in 2009? What can we expect to see in term sheets in 2010?
- Ben Howe, Co-Founder and CEO, America's Growth Capital
- Ben Nye, Managing Director, Bain Capital Ventures
- Dave Parkinson, Executive Vice President, Americas, Trustwave and former CEO, Vericept