Current Challenges in Payment System Reform
Original air date June 28, 2011 -- Presented by the 2011 BIO International Convention
Payment system reform efforts will continue to create a series of challenges and opportunities for the biotechnology industry. From Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) and Patient Centered Medical Homes to various episode-based payment systems and payment 'bundling' proposals, each option has far reaching and complicated implications. Will these models change incentives to such a degree that they hinder innovation? What are the legal challenges and ramifications of each strategy? This panel discussion will attempt to provide an overview of the likely proposals under consideration and explore their potential impact on the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries.
- Thomas Barker, Partner, Foley Hoag LLP (Co-Moderator)
- Donald Moran, President, The Moran Company (Co-Moderator)
- Jonathan Blum, Deputy Administrator, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Tony Clapsis, Professional Staff Member, Senate Finance Committee
- Daniel Todd, Health Policy Advisor, Senate Finance Committee