Attorney Sarah Altschuller to Discuss Human Rights Compliance and Corporate Strategy in PLI Webinar
January 23, 2015
Foley Hoag LLP attorney Sarah Altschuller will be a featured speaker for "Integrating Human Rights Compliance into Corporate Strategy and Operations: The Role of Lawyers," a webinar hosted by The Practising Law Institute (PLI) on January 28, 2015.
The webinar will introduce lawyers to the authoritative principles on society’s expectation that businesses respect human rights, and highlight the ways in which legal advice to clients should address human rights risks at both a strategic and operational level.
Topics to be addressed include:
- How companies are expected to adopt and embed human rights policy commitments, conduct human rights due diligence, and provide remedies.
- What lawyers should know about existing and emerging legal risks arising from company involvement in human rights impacts.
- How counsel and companies can advise business clients to integrate human rights due diligence into existing due diligence, risk management, and reporting frameworks.
- How corporate lawyers can assist companies in navigating human rights reporting and disclosure requirements and in negotiating agreements in order to address human rights risks.
- How lawyers can advise companies on human rights consistently with their legal professional responsibilities.
Webinar participants will also be introduced to the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights (UNGPs). The UNGPs are increasingly relevant to many areas dominated by law, and are also predictive of emerging legal and regulatory requirements.
Altschuller is a member of Foley Hoag’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) practice. In this role, she advises multinational companies regarding the development and implementation of CSR strategies, policies, and procedures, as well as compliance with emerging legal and regulatory requirements.
Joining Altschuller on the webinar will be Yousuf Aftab, Principal, Enodo Rights; Ariel Meyerstein, Vice President, Labor Affairs, Corporate Responsibility & Corporate Governance, United States Council for International Business; and John F. Sherman, General Counsel and Senior Advisor, Shift Project.
About Foley Hoag LLP
Foley Hoag provides innovative, strategic legal services to public, private and government clients across the globe. We have premier capabilities in the life sciences, healthcare, technology, energy, professional services and private funds fields, and in cross-border disputes. The diverse backgrounds, perspectives and experiences of our lawyers and business services professionals contribute to the exceptional service we deliver to clients ranging from startups to multinational companies to sovereign states. For more information, visit www.foleyhoag.com or follow @FoleyHoag on Twitter.