Five Lawyers Promoted to Foley Hoag Partnership
January 5, 2015
Foley Hoag LLP has promoted five lawyers to the firm’s partnership, effective January 1.
The new partners add depth to Foley Hoag’s market-leading practices in domestic and international business law, litigation, government strategies, international litigation and arbitration, and investment funds. Their practices strengthen the firm’s expertise representing Sovereign States, and clients in the Energy & Cleantech, Investment Management, Life Sciences, Healthcare and Technology industries.
"We are very pleased to welcome these outstanding lawyers to our partnership," said Foley Hoag co-managing partner Adam Kahn.
The new partners are:
- Clara E. Brillembourg. Mrs. Brillembourg counsels sovereign States in international disputes with other States and foreign investors and with private parties in U.S. courts. She has significant experience in disputes between States concerning trans-border harms and territorial rights, which frequently come before the International Court of Justice, the Permanent Court of Arbitration, and the International Tribunal on the Law of the Sea. In her investor-State arbitration practice, Mrs. Brillembourg represents States in international arbitrations brought by foreign investors. Within U.S. courts, she represents State clients in cases involving issues of foreign sovereign immunity.
- Daniel S. Clevenger. Mr. Clevenger counsels clients on a wide variety of transactional matters, including public offerings of debt and equity securities, venture capital investments, and mergers and acquisitions. In addition to his transactional work, he also has extensive experience advising public companies on compliance with United States federal securities laws, including periodic reporting, proxy solicitations and shareholder communications.
- Tad A. Heuer. In his administrative law and public law practice, Mr. Heuer counsels clients as diverse as educational institutions, municipalities, renewable energy companies, and health care providers. He provides strategic advice on developing and complying with complex legislation and regulations, and appears frequently on behalf of clients before government agencies and trial and appellate courts. Mr. Heuer also has extensive experience in the area of land use and permitting, advising private and public sector entities in areas such as zoning appeals, historic preservation and eminent domain.
- Gwendolyn W. Jaramillo. Ms. Jaramillo’s diversified international practice encompasses transactional, trade, and general corporate matters. She advises clients on mergers and acquisitions, with a focus on cross-border acquisitions and establishment of international operations. In the area of foreign trade, Ms. Jaramillo advises clients regarding compliance with U.S. export regulations and sanctions programs, including product classifications, development of compliance programs, compliance audits, and compliance with OFAC regulations.
- Robert G. Sawyer. Mr. Sawyer’s practice focuses on advising investment advisers and private investment funds (including hedge funds, private equity and venture capital funds and small business investment companies) in all aspects of fund and management vehicle formation, investment structuring and ongoing compliance matters. Mr. Sawyer also advises a range of operating companies with respect to capital raising and financing transactions, in addition to the range of business and legal issues facing growing companies.
About Foley Hoag LLP
Foley Hoag provides innovative, strategic legal services to public, private and government clients across the globe. We have premier capabilities in the life sciences, healthcare, technology, energy, professional services and private funds fields, and in cross-border disputes. The diverse backgrounds, perspectives and experiences of our lawyers and staff contribute to the exceptional service we deliver to clients ranging from startups to multinational companies to sovereign states. For more information, visit www.foleyhoag.com or follow @FoleyHoag on Twitter.