Charles J. Beard, II Diversity Fellowship
Foley Hoag is committed to fostering a culture and atmosphere of mutual respect, to ensuring that it has a climate of inclusiveness where all individuals can thrive, and to attracting, retaining, and promoting outstanding lawyers from all backgrounds, perspectives and talents. These traditions emerged from our founders’ determination to hire the very best lawyers, based entirely on individual merit and without exclusion. With that foundation, we strive to bring together lawyers and staff of different backgrounds, skills, and experiences, because we recognize that this diversity enriches the firm’s culture and enhances the quality of our work.
As part of this long-standing commitment to diversity and inclusion, we are proud to sponsor a diversity fellowship for outstanding first-year law students from backgrounds underrepresented in the legal profession. This fellowship is named in memory of our former partner, Charlie Beard, who was the first African-American lawyer promoted to partner at a major Boston law firm. Charlie, known for his wise counsel, humor and intellect, believed education held the key to personal development and success for young people. It is, therefore, particularly fitting to honor Charlie, a staunch advocate for cultural and racial diversity, with this fellowship.
Fellowship recipients will receive a paid Summer Associate position in our Boston office and an award of up to $30,000 to assist with law school tuition. The award will be paid in three installments: $10,000 upon completion of the 1L summer with the firm; $10,000 upon completion of the 2L summer with the firm; and the remaining $10,000 upon joining the firm as a full-time associate.
To receive the second payment of the fellowship award, a Foley Hoag Diversity Fellow must receive and accept an offer to return to the firm for the full summer associate program following the Fellow’s 2L year and must not be the recipient of a diversity award from another law firm. To receive the final payment of the fellowship award, a Foley Hoag Diversity Fellow must receive and accept an offer of full-time post-graduate employment and join the firm as a full-time first-year associate.
The eligibility, selection criteria and application process for the program are as follows:
We welcome applications from law students who:
- Are enrolled full-time in an ABA-accredited law school with an expected graduation date of Spring 2023
- Demonstrate a commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion and/or have overcome obstacles in the pursuit of a legal career
- Can participate for the full term of Foley Hoag’s 2021 summer associate program
- Will not be a recipient of a similar award from another law firm
Fellows will be selected based on consideration of the following factors:
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion
- Academic and professional achievement
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Sincere interest in Foley Hoag and our practice areas
Applications must include:
- Submission of an online application
- A personal statement demonstrating achievement of the selection criteria and commitment to the practice of law in a large law firm (please limit length to one single-spaced page)
- Current resume
- Undergraduate transcript
- Law school transcript, following receipt of the first term grades
Interested candidates should complete the Online Application and submit the necessary attachments. With the exception of the law school transcript, all of the required information must be complete and attached before the application may be submitted. Upon receipt of first term law school grades, please send a copy of your law school transcript to email@example.com.
Applications must be received by February 1, 2021. Selected applicants will be contacted on a rolling basis for personal interviews. Please direct any questions to Dina Wreede, Director of Legal Recruiting, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about Foley Hoag’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.