Diversity Awareness and Programs
At Foley Hoag, we are passionate about investing in our people. We offer a vast array of innovative learning and development opportunities, educational events, programs, and resources that aim to engage, support, empower, and celebrate attorneys and business services professionals of historically underrepresented backgrounds.At Foley Hoag, we take mentoring very seriously! Our formal mentoring programs include:
- ELEVATE, a mentorship program for all incoming first-year associates and laterals that thoughtfully pairs new attorneys with mentors from the DE&I Committee. Designated mentors help bolster the internal support network of new associates and laterals while providing them with career advice recommendations to aid them throughout their journey at the firm. The Department of DE&I and Committee on DE&I designed this program to ensure that our future leaders enjoy a successful integration to Foley Hoag.
- The Women’s Mentoring Circles. The Women’s Mentoring Circles are the heart of the Women’s Forum. The Foley Hoag Women’s Forum aims to cultivate women leaders. The Forum is focused on recruiting, retention, career advancement, and business development activities for women attorneys. Launched in 2013 as an opportunity for Foley Hoag’s women attorneys to build community, seek and provide mentorship and expand their internal networks, the circles have evolved into spaces where trusted colleagues can support one another, offer guidance, and thoughtfully discuss both professional and personal matters in a confidential setting. Membership is voluntary and open to all attorneys at the firm who identify as women or non-binary.
Foley Hoag community members have access to a myriad of in-house trainings and interactive workshops on a range of topics, including:
- Two virtual, on-demand DE&I trainings for all firm-personnel, focusing on the basics of DE&I, identity and belonging, inclusive communication, power, privilege and unconscious bias.
- Unconscious Bias for Interviewers.
- Bystander Intervention to Stop Anti-Asian and Xenophobic Harassment.
- Interrupting Unconscious Bias in Performance Reviews.
- LGBTQ+ 101.
- Understanding Religious Diversity in the Workplace.
Most recently, we launched our DE&I Speaker Series, a forum where we invite experts and activists to the Foley Hoag community for firm-wide learning and development opportunities.
Our firm honors and commemorates key diversity milestones such as Black History Month, International Women's Day, Asian American Pacific Islander History Month, LGBTQ+ Pride Month, and Hispanic/Latinx Heritage Month.
To continue to re-affirm our commitment to advancing and promoting DE&I in our workplace, in April of 2021, the firm announced its new unlimited credit policy for DE&I and legal recruiting activities. This policy is similar to our current pro-bono policy and encourages all of our people to participate and be part of our journey.