Foley Hoag’s Tax Group advises clients on complex domestic and international tax matters. The Tax Group has decades of experience gained in private practice, Big Four tax consulting, and government practice. We work with businesses in all stages of their life cycles, from early-stage companies to established private and public companies. Our attorneys are dedicated to translating highly-technical tax issues into practical advice for business managers of any background, including first-time founders to serial entrepreneurs and experienced CEOs, CFOs and fund managers.
Our Tax Group works collaboratively with attorneys in other disciplines to provide practical and innovative tax advice to address each client’s unique business challenges. We also work with law firms around the globe, including through our charter membership in Lex Mundi, the world’s leading international association of law firms.
We have sophisticated capabilities in a number of specialized areas of tax practice, such as:
- Business financings, including angel and venture capital equity investments, debt financings and the use of derivatives;
- Domestic and international M&A (buy- and sell-side) and internal restructurings;
- Executive and employee compensation;
- Private investment funds, including hedge funds, private equity funds, venture capital funds and other investment vehicles;
- Tax credit transactions;
- Project finance;
- Partnership and limited liability company operating agreements;
- Nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations;
- Tax controversies;
- Private letter ruling requests and requests for other guidance from federal, state and local taxing authorities, including (for example) tax-free reorganizations, innovative tax credit transaction structuring, S corporation compliance, and sales tax matters.