Residential, Mixed Use and Commercial Development
- Represent community health center in multiple real estate transactions including property acquisitions, dispositions, leasing, and redevelopment, including securing zoning relief.
- Represented major university on transit line expansion and related development opportunities.
- Represented cultural sector clients in all aspects of permitting new exhibition space along the Boston waterfront.
- Represent major institutional landholder in the permitting and development of a new music theater in downtown Boston, including securing all necessary approvals and negotiating all related agreements.
- Represent major New England non-profit located on waterfront property in development of strategy to address sea level rise and impacts on public realm in and around its campus.
- Advised a U.S. municipality, in partnership with a private developer and multiple governmental agencies, on the development of a “transit-oriented district.” This new development combined mixed-use residential and commercial buildings, as well as roadway and rail improvements. Foley Hoag has been advising the project on the full range of eminent domain issues, environmental approvals, NEPA/MEPA, wetland, endangered species issues and project financing.
- Represented development team in the negotiation of a development agreement and long term ground lease for the redevelopment of an approimately 20 acre parcel of land in Boston, MA.
- Represented the owner of a 230 unit multi-family apartment complex in the negotiation of a $53 million permanent loan facility.
- Represented private secondary school in comprehensive school facilities development and reorganization, including property acquisitions, state agency coordination, and zoning variances and related relief.
- Assisted municipality in comprehensive downtown development issuing restoration of right-of-way and major housing and commercial development with new City Hall.
- Negotiated land disposition agreement and related documentation for historic restoration of major urban auditorium building.
- Assisted town in securing air rights easement with MBTA to enter construction of new school.
- Assisted developer of warehouse distribution center in relocation and development of facilities regarding multiple variances and special permits.
- Represented a leading software company in a lawsuit relating to the faulty performance of a newly-installed HVAC system at its corporate headquarters. The case resolved successfully through mediation, including with negotiation of a favorable new maintenance contract.
- Represented a paper recycling company in a series of disputes relating to its refurbishment of a paper mill, including contractor overrun claims and a dispute with the Italian manufacturer of failed equipment.
- After successfully defending a public housing finance authority from a contractor’s design-related claims in arbitration, we brought a winning summary judgment motion against the project’s designer to enforce a contractual indemnification clause and recoup the lion’s share of the authority’s defense costs.