Foley Hoag’s international work began in Latin America and has remained deeply rooted in the region for several decades. Starting with the successful representation of Nicaragua in landmark cases before the International Court of Justice, our practice has grown and evolved to become a leading defender of Latin American States and State-owned entities in State-State disputes, Investment Arbitration, Commercial Arbitration, and in litigation before U.S. and French courts.
No other firm has represented as many Latin American States in international arbitration, international and domestic litigation, and related matters. Our roster of clients includes 20 Latin American States in over 50 pending and completed matters. Our Latin American State clients include:
- Costa Rica
- El Salvador
- Dominican Republic
Foley Hoag also represents a significant number of Latin American States and state-owned entities in commercial and contract-based arbitration under various arbitration rules and in various economic sectors, including Oil & Gas, Energy, Construction, Infrastructure, Transportation and Telecommunications.
Beyond our State representation in the region, Foley Hoag represents private entities in contractual disputes, with other companies in the region or abroad, either in arbitral fora or in U.S. litigation.
Over half of our multinational and diverse team includes attorneys fluent in Spanish and Portuguese and trained in various jurisdictions in Latin America, with a comprehensive understanding of both common law and civil law.
Foley Hoag is widely recognized for its expertise globally and in Latin America, in particular:
Named 2020 Arbitration Practice of the Year by Law 360
- “…success is something that the firm's international litigation and arbitration practice group has enjoyed quite a few times over the last year.”
Named 2020 Arbitration Practice of the Year by Jus Mundi
- “We recognize Foley Hoag’s efforts for female arbitrator nominations.. In the last three years, Foley Hoag has nominated women arbitrators 5 out of 10 times, representing a 50% nomination ratio in investment, commercial, and investor-state arbitration settings [primarily in Latin American arbitrations].”
Global Arbitration Review has consistently ranked Foley Hoag among the best firms in International Arbitration
- “The firm has an enviably strong record of defence wins for states facing investment treaty claims” with “especially good results for Latin American states.”
Chambers Latin America has consistently ranked Foley Hoag among the best firms
- “Established international arbitration practice with longstanding experience acting on Latin American mandates.”
Latinvex ranked Foley Hoag among its top 10 firms for Latin America in International Arbitration
- Four of Foley Hoag’s partners ranked among the best attorneys in international arbitration concerning Latin America.
Legal 500 Latin America has consistently ranked Foley Hoag among the best firms in International Arbitration Areas
- The firm “has an impressive reputation for representing sovereign states in international arbitration…”
- “Best in class. The international arbitration team is one of the most complete, professional, result-oriented and customer-management teams.”
Chambers Global has ranked Foley Hoag as 1 of only 3 firms in its most prestigious Band One for Public International Law in each of the last nine years
- “Market-leading public international law practice with a wealth of experience in inter-state arbitrations.”