False Claims Act Matters
- Obtained a favorable settlement after 18 months of litigation for an international interparty broker of financial transactions in an enforcement action by the Massachusetts Attorney General alleging bid rigging and False Claims Act violations.
- Successfully persuaded Massachusetts Attorney General, after a two year investigation, to terminate her investigation of and decline to join multistate litigation against a national for-profit university alleging false claims violations.
- Obtained a favorable settlement after four year investigation for a national third party administrator of workers comp claims of allegations by Massachusetts Attorney General of false claims violations.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for a major pharmacy of a two year investigation by the Massachusetts Attorney General alleging Medicaid Fraud and false claims violations.
Data Breach Matters
- Successfully resolved a 42-state Attorney General investigation of a national retailer that alleged unfair and deceptive acts or practices for failing to prevent the digital theft of hundreds of thousands of credit cards.
- Successfully advised a drug testing laboratory, and interfaced with the Illinois, Indiana, North Carolina and Virginia Attorneys General, to avoid any enforcement action in connection with breach of health data and related criminal law issues when an Illinois-based subcontractor was found in possession of patient names, Social Security numbers and credit cards.
Consumer Protection/Unfair and Deceptive Practices/False Advertising
- Obtained the dismissal of claims for alleged unfair and deceptive acts or practices arising from subprime mortgage loans brought by the Massachusetts Attorney General against a national financial services firm.
- Successfully persuaded Massachusetts Attorney General, after 30 month investigation, to terminate her investigation against a major medical device company alleging unfair and deceptive acts or practices in connection with selection by physicians of the company’s device for surgical procedures.
- Successfully resolved an investigation by the Massachusetts Attorney General and State Division of Insurance of a national health insurer alleging unfair and deceptive marketing and sales practices.
- Obtained a favorable resolution of allegations by the Massachusetts Attorney General of deceptive advertising against a national dental services organization.
- Obtained a favorable resolution of allegations by the Massachusetts Attorney General of unfair and deceptive sales and marketing practices against an international retail supplier of electricity.
Wage and Hour Matters
- Successfully represented employer in lengthy criminal and civil investigations by the Attorney General’s office and other regulatory agencies involving wage-hour, tax and prevailing wage claims - including representing witnesses in grand jury testimony.
- Obtained a favorable resolution of an investigation by the Massachusetts Attorney General of a waste hauler alleging wage and hour violations, including claims of off-the-clock work, failure to pay overtime, failure to pay the prevailing wage, failure to provide meal breaks and failure to maintain accurate payroll records.
- Successfully persuaded the Massachusetts Attorney General to terminate an investigations of a retailer alleging denial of required meal breaks and time off of work.
- Successfully resolved Massachusetts Attorney General investigations of a major non-profit health care company for allegedly paying excessive executive compensation.
- Represented seven major universities in a two year study by the Massachusetts Attorney General of compensation practices of public charities.
- Successfully persuaded the Massachusetts Attorney General to amend terms of a conversion of charitable assets agreement to allow a large hospital system to close a failing community hospital.