Department of Health and Human Services Issues Request for Information on COVID-19 Best Practices
November 24, 2020
On November 23, 2020, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) published a Request for Information (RFI) seeking insights from health systems and providers on innovative approaches and best practices implemented in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The public health emergency has put increased strain on health systems, especially those that disproportionately serve vulnerable populations, and has increased mortality and morbidity for non-COVID-19 medical conditions due to a prolonged disruption in services.
HHS is seeking information on how health systems adapted to these challenges to mitigate the consequences of COVID-19 while preserving access to non-COVID-19 routine and emergency health care services. They are specifically interested in novel approaches showing demonstrated improvements in patient outcomes, access to health care, safety, quality, and value.
Response should include the following information:
- Description of the innovation or best practice;
- Rationale for the implementation of the innovation or best practice;
- Data or results confirming efficacy and effectiveness of the innovation, including demographic data, control conditions, and outcome measures;
- Costs associated with implementing the innovation or best practice;
- Whether these innovations have been incorporated as permanent organizational changes; and,
- Whether the innovation can be scaled to larger, more diverse groups and locations for longer periods.
HHS has identified topic areas for respondents to focus their responses on. They include:
- Health promotion and prevention of COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 medical conditions
- Screening/surveillance/case identification of COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 medical conditions
- Treatment of COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 medical conditions
- Mental health/behavioral health and substance use disorder best practices
- Population level interventions.
Comments are due on December 24, 2020 and can be submitted to the Innovation RFI Response portal by clicking here.