The White House has released a COVID-19 preparedness plan that assumes we will be living with the virus for the long term.
The 96-page plan
has four primary goals: (1) protect against and treat COVID-19, (2) prepare for new variants, (3) prevent economic and educational shutdowns and (4) vaccinate the world. Key elements of the plan include:
- "Test to treat." A nationwide "test-to-treat" initiative to minimize the time between a positive test result and treatment. Pharmacy-based clinics will serve as "one-stop" test-to-treat locations, so that people with a positive COVID-19 test result are rapidly seen by a provider and receive antiviral therapy, all in one visit.
- Improved COVID-19 tracking.
- Development of a Universal vaccine.
- Vaccines for young children.
- Prioritization of the immunocompromised.
- Expand hospital capacity.
- Increase long COVID-19 research.
- Distribution of free masks.